What are Some of the Most Common Issues with Flat Roofs? Insights from a Flat Roofing and Tuckpointing Contractor in Edgewater, ChicagoExpert Super Seal Roofing & Tuckpointing
If you live in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago, you are probably familiar with flat roofing. Compared to other types of roofs, some of the main advantages of flat roofs include their simplicity in construction and low cost. However, this simplicity comes at the cost of longevity. It is not uncommon for flat roofs to begin leaking after 15 to 20 years or so of use — although that period can be longer depending on the quality of your Edgewater roofing contractor’s work and the roofing materials used in its construction.
To help give you a better idea of what to expect with your flat roof, this flat roofing and tuckpointing contractor in Edgewater, Chicago is going to review some of their most common issues below.
What are some common flat roof problems?
When you live in an area that gets a lot of rain, snow, or heat, your flat roof could be at risk of damage. Even if it is just a minor issue, it can lead to bigger problems requiring more extensive repairs down the line.
Here are a few common flat roof issues and how to fix them:
- A leaky roof: If you notice water pooling near your gutters when it rains, make sure to have a professional flat roofing and tuckpointing contractor in Edgewater, Chicago inspect your roof to see what’s causing any leaks right away. You don’t want to wait until there is serious damage before you have it repaired.
- Loose seams: Sometimes, loose seams occur after a heavy storm, and other times they happen over time due to wear and tear. Either way, these gaps allow water into your home, which is why it is crucial to have them repaired by your flat roofing and tuckpointing contractor in Edgewater, Chicago. Otherwise, your entire roof could end up getting damaged from water penetration.
- Leaky chimney: Your chimney connects to your house through a vent pipe, which means that leaks around the connection can cause big problems. These pipes need proper support and ventilation throughout their length. Anything less than that can create big problems.
- Weakened flashing: Flashing is a metal material designed to prevent water from leaking into areas where two parts of your flat roof meet. The flashing should be installed correctly during construction and kept clean, so it does not rust or deteriorate over time.
- Deteriorated caulking: Caulking is used along joints between different sections of flat roofs (such as tiles) to prevent moisture from entering your Edgewater home. However, it can deteriorate over time, allowing water to get inside. Having your roof inspected regularly and replacing old caulking with new caulking whenever necessary is important.
- Corroded fasteners: Fasteners are nails or screws that hold down certain parts of your roof, such as skylights or vents. They must be replaced periodically based on how much exposure they get to elements such as wind and rain. If you find any corrosion or rust on them, replace them immediately.
How to fix flat roofing problems
If you have a flat roof, you know all too well how quickly issues can arise — especially during rainy seasons. However, rather than trying to repair these issues yourself, it’s better to leave it up to a professional flat roofing and tuckpointing contractor in Edgewater, Chicago.
Unless you are an experienced roofing contractor, DIY flat roof repair can be a risky endeavor. Accidents happen, and improper repairs can make things worse, not better.
Looking for the Best Flat Roofing and Tuckpointing Contractor in Edgewater, Chicago?
Do you need to have your flat roof repaired? Looking for the top-rated flat roofing and tuckpointing contractor in Edgewater, Chicago? If so, the team at Expert Super Seal Roofing & Tuckpointing is here to help. Regardless of the severity of your flat roofing issue, we can provide a solution. Contact us today at (773) 993-5668 to request a free estimate.