It’s completely natural for roofs to deteriorate over time. Most roofs have a lifespan that’s somewhere between 10 and 20 years, depending on local weather conditions and how well it’s maintained. With that said, roof replacements are somewhat common — even in Chicago’s Logan Square neighborhood.
There are many factors to consider when it’s time for a roof replacement in Logan Square, Chicago. Style, materials, and functionality are just some of them. To make things a little easier, this roofing and tuckpointing company in Logan Square, Chicago is going to explain the things you should consider when replacing your roof.
Evaluating The Roof That Suits You and Your Home
Before we dive into materials and other factors, let’s understand some basic roofing measurement terminology.
Square is the basic unit of measurement that roofing contractors use. One square is equal to 100 square feet. Learning about this basic terminology will help you understand how the cost for a roofing project is calculated.
Here are other considerations for your roof in Logan Square, Chicago:
- Know the cost of the roof.Determine a budget for your roof. The materials to be used are most likely the starting basis for the roof’s cost. One important factor is examining the existing condition of your roof. Does it need to be repaired? Are some of your roofing materials still useable? Are there other areas that need fixing? From there, you can begin choosing among the various types of roofs and materials.
- Picking the right material. Roof replacement or simple roof repair involves the process of choosing the material that suits your Logan Square reconstruction needs. Aside from the cost, other factors affecting your choice are the texture, color, weight, and durability of your chosen roofing type.
- Roofing flashing and materials. The roofing material used for your Logan Square, Chicago roofing project may be determined by the type of roof you choose. For example, roofs with low slopes or flat shapes require a different surface material from ones with a steeper pitch.
Some of the materials used by professional roofers in Logan Square include:
- Metal – This type of roof is typically more expensive. Metal options are mostly manufactured for seamed roofs, consisting of vertical shapes of metal to be joined by solder.
- Asphalt – It is the most commonly used roofing material. It is cheaper than other types and is much easier to install, making it ideal for most homeowners. Made from fiberglass mixed with asphalt and completed with a sand-like finish. This type is also proven to be long-lasting.
- Slate – Durability is this roofing type’s best feature. Although not all slates are created equally, some of the best outlive its fastener. It is even possible to reinstall and recycle an old slate. The downside for this type is that it’s very heavy and expensive.
- Wood – The main choice for roofing material is wood. It has been for centuries. There’s been a restriction on using this type for some areas because it’s a fire risk. Most wood roofs are redwood, cedar, or southern pine that lasts for around 25 years.
Need a Roof Replacement? Contact the Top-Rated Roofing and Tuckpointing Company in Logan Square, Chicago
Whatever material you end up choosing, it’s important to remember that your roof is a major investment. If you ever become confused or unsure during the roof replacement process, do not hesitate to reach out to your roofing contractor. They will be able to fill you in on all the details.
Are you looking for the premier roofing and tuckpointing company in Logan Square, Chicago? If so, contact the professionals at Expert Super Seal Roofing & Tuckpointing at (773) 993-5668 to request a free quote.